Saturday, February 6, 2010

An Ode to Craig's List


Oh Craig's List how I love you so

I have bought so much from you, ya know

The baby stuff, I got great deals

A crib! A swing! A bug on wheels!

I sold my things way back when

From Craig's list, I'll buy them back again.

Craig's List score of the week: a LazyBoy couch. I checked the website and found this whole setup retails for $4800. I got it slightly used for just a few hundred dollars.
Did I keep this couch out of a landfill?
Probably not. But I did avoid purchasing brand new, avoiding the use of new resources and energy used in production, shipping and holding.
I also avoided the 'new couch smell'.

I'm trying not to be one of those tree-huggy freaks that have unrealistic views of how harmful various household chemicals are, but I work at a major research university and I have seen scientific studies conducted on negative health effects from flame retardents and stain repellents. With a pre-owned piece of furniture, the initial chemical burst has already been off-gassed.

I also scored a Pack and Play for $10. It looks like it has never been used!

For those of you who don't already know, Craig's List is http://www.craigslist.com/.
I heard a rumor that Ebay bought the site, but it is still free (for now).

No comments:

Post a Comment