Thursday, February 18, 2010

More Places for Free Stuff!

I got a couple of new suggestions for places to find usable stuff - for free.

1) The town dump.
No, I don't mean for your to go dumpster diving.
That's just gross.
The town dump in my new town has a Swap Shop. In this treasure island, people donate the good stuff they want to get rid of. I don't know how many times I have driven by the swap shop without stopping. I always see a treadmill or a NordicTrack (we have ALL bought one of these at one time or another and ended up dusting it until we came to terms with the fact that we won't use these things at home!)

I happen to live in a college town. A college town full of fairly wealthy college students, whose parents often set them up in a rental, buy all new kitchen gear, only for it to be discarded at the end of the school year. There are also visiting faculty, faculty who move on, etc.

So...
I close on April 5 + school gets out in mid May = JACKPOT!
There is another turnover of rentals in mid August.



2) I was looking for a Mom's group in my new town and scanned the Yahoo! Groups. Not only did I find a Mom's group, I found a Swap group who posts all sorts of free stuff.


I think I can do this! Not only can I get gently used household items, I think I can get most of them for free (my wallet is doing a happy dance now).

No comments:

Post a Comment