Wednesday, February 10, 2010

FreeCycle! http://www.freecycle.org/

I was just turned on to the coolest network.
Thanks Ben!

Freecycle is a non-profit group that facilitates people who want to get rid of items that still have life left in them. It keeps stuff out of the landfill.

From the website (www.freecycle.org):
"Welcome! The Freecycle Network™ is made up of 4,882 groups with 6,950,000 members across the globe. It's a grassroots and entirely nonprofit movement of people who are giving (& getting) stuff for free in their own towns. It's all about reuse and keeping good stuff out of landfills. Each local group is moderated by a local volunteer (them's good people). Membership is free. To sign up, find your community by entering it into the search box above or by clicking on “Browse Groups” above the search box. Have fun!"

I browsed, found a bunch of groups in my state, then clicked on the town closest to me. I was then directed to a Yahoo! group. I joined the group and BAM!

TONS of free stuff! It looks like you have to be quick to get the stuff you want, but there are many, many posts each day. I see furniture, musical instruments, fish tanks, and so on.

The biggest issue I have with this site is that I don't have anywhere to put the stuff right now. I will have to ignore it until I move into my luxury estate.

I will of course offer up the baby gear that my daughter has outgrown as a way to pay it forward.

No comments:

Post a Comment